Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Story of My Life, In Recent Times

This past August, I moved my entire life to Peekskill, NY after living in the Boston area for 18 years - the longest I'd ever lived in one area in my life. This was a huge and significant move for me, one I'd been working toward for 18 years. The reason?

The reason is because I want to change the world. Literally. Through education, a little at a time, making the world a better place. And the best way I think there is is through the education system offered by the school I came to join, The Garden Road School. Please click the link to learn more about the school; I just finished the website, and I'm adding content every day, but there's a lot there already.

I've been involved with the school for years, working as its volunteer webmaster and joining in fundraising events. Finally, though, they were ready to hire me, and I was ready for a move.

However, things rarely work out perfectly, and the school hit some hard times this year, losing about half of its enrollment. It's growing again, but not enough to compensate for a large expected deficit.

So the teachers, passionate about wanting to see this education system in the world and the vision of what could be, volunteered to donate over $50,000 in salaries and hours to help reduce the deficit. This is very significant, especially since most were already working only part time and making, well, almost nothing. It's truly a labor of love.

At this point, to make this extraordinary, special school have a secure future, we need to raise funds. Every little bit helps, so don't be shy about donating even a small amount. Thank you so much!

Oh, and my lampwork stuff is still in boxes. I hope to be able to unpack it soon. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home