Sunday, September 24, 2006

Music: An All-Important Ingredient

It's been some time since I've posted, for good reason. The reason is that I moved from my home of six years - the longest I've lived consecutively in any one place in my life - in mid-August, and I have only recently become settled enough to even think of picking up my creative pursuits again, with school starting at the same time.

But now it's a new start time, coinciding with the Jewish New Year and other fascinating convergences, and things will begin again.

This weekend I went to visit my friends on Cape Cod for the CD launch party of the band Tripping Lily. I met the band in mid-August at Janni's and became enraptured by their music, spending most of the night listening to the band jam in the living room with only a few other people; most others at the party were listening to, and/or participating in, the beautiful jazz outdoors on the back deck.

I think Tripping Lily embodies some of what is moving now in the world. Plus I just like their music. The band members are youthful, energetic, have a great stage presence, and totally passionate about music; food is just about the only thing that can stop them from playing, that and listening to music. It was a totally fun concert/party at Redtop, Janni and Jeff's house in Hyannisport, right near the beach.

The band is performing at a music festival in Nashville this week, and they will be playing at venues in the Boston/Cambridge/Somerville area in the near future. It feels like they will be well known soon; they are already one of the hottest bands on the Cape.

And what on earth does this have to do with lampwork? I've found that my choice of music while lampworking is very important: it needs to be not so harsh that it breaks the meditative concentration, but having joyfulness as part of it is important. For example, Enya would be too mellow. So I have a playlist that I use when lampworking, and when I hear the music when not making beads, it brings me right back to the feelings and aromas of that process. Tripping Lily's music is a perfect addition to my Jack Johnson, Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband, Ian Love and Raconteurs songs on this playlist.

Tripping Lily's main web space is their Myspace page for now, and they're working on revamping their main website. You can hear samples of their music on the Myspace page.

Photos of the band:

From left to right: The lovely and talented Monica, who keeps the band succeeding in the practical world; verbose, humorous and warm Demetrius, who can tune his guitar and entertain an audience at the same time; Alex, Demitri's younger brother whose unique voice shines through most clearly in his music, including the broken-urinal-inspired "Nothing Goes" song he composed; and popular Laird, whose deep and constant bass keeps the band's musical heart beating.


Janni and Jeff join the band in their den, where the Couch Sessions CD was recorded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home