Monday, September 12, 2005

Birthday today, no kiln yet, but new camera!

Today was my birthday, and I spent about 12 hours of it working. Such is life!

My kiln has not yet arrived. I hope and expect it to arrive in the next day or two.

But my great birthday present was a new camera, a Canon Powershot SD500, 7 megapixels. A great replacement for my Nikon Coolpix 775 that has mostly died. I look forward to lots of good bead pics with this camera.

Here are a few first impressions:

The technology has progressed a lot in the last 4-5 years since I got my Nikon. The 775 was advanced for its time and probably would've stayed usable many more years had I not run it over with my car... as it is, Ed should get plenty of use from it still, with his light use. (I took over 10,000 photos on that baby!)

The new camera is the same height and length, but only half the width. It feels as heavy since there is more metal in the body, a new trend in camera-making that I like, as it speaks of improved quality.

The movie mode is quite high-quality and filled up my meager 32MB SD card that came with the camera in seconds. I foresee many opportunities with a larger SD card!

The flash is quite good, much better than the Nikon; the scene modes hold lots of possibility; and the macro is decent. (Nikon is the clear winner in this category, but the Canon was better in almost everything else, so I had to go with this one.)

I think I'm going to like this camera!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home