Saturday, August 06, 2005

Implosion beads... a little discouraged

Since seeing Or's demonstration of implosion beads, I've really wanted to do them. Not so easy on a Hothead torch, I know, but he did say it should be possible to make them using soft glass.

I tried once in Israel, shortly after seeing the demo, and while the result wasn't pretty, it was closer than tonight's attempt. True, I hadn't lampworked in a while other than in demos, and I ran out of gas partway through the bead (!!), probably leading to the crack, but still, the bead turned out really ugly. I also managed to get white areas that almost look like scarring on the bead somehow, and the clear glass turned muddy around the edges.

In trying to figure out what went wrong and how to improve my technique, I found this link tonight: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2108. It has some info about how to make it better next time. I'll try again, but really wish I had a kiln! It should be delivered soon, I hope.

No pictures of this ugly sucker. It's way too embarrassing, even for me. If anyone has a good resource for me on how to make these, I'd really appreciate it. It's been hard to track anything down on this topic on the net.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home