Thursday, May 12, 2005

Bad luck in threes?

Today, after making the final two beads in my rainbow, I went for a really ambitious bead. I decided to try the same kind of flowered bead as last time, but this time adding silver foil as an additional layer underneath. Instead I ended up adding to my future frit collection.

Final two rainbow beads:



The first bead, which was almost complete, died when I was denting the flower centers with my bead rake. So disappointing!

The second bead died when my gas went too low. I thought I'd experiment with keeping the bead in the blanket while changing the tank. When I reintroduced it to the flame, slowly, I thought, it shattered.

Bead number three was a near loss. I completed the bead, leaving out the vines layer to make it more manageable this time, and left it in the blanket. It was tough; my torch isn't hot enough to easily melt the clear encasing. But when I was putting in another bead (because I just had to make one more!), the first one fell out onto the concrete floor.

As you can imagine, I was horrified, having heard the sound of glass breaking. Fortunately, it was only a small piece that had attached further up on the mandrel, and not part of the bead. The bead seems to be intact. I'm letting it cool more, and will post results later.

Later: Unfortunately, the bead cracked. I don't know if it will come off the mandrel intact or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home