Saturday, April 08, 2006

Hollow beads, baybee! Yeah!

Forgive me that momentary Austin Powers-esque lapse, but I never thought I'd see the day when I'd actually make a hollow bead, and on a Hothead torch, no less! It's even kinda pretty. It's finishing its annealing cycle (last stage) now.

Okay, so it's the only bead I successfully made today, but it's still something. My other attempt - extremely ambitious - was to try a vessel on a hollow mandrel. It was actually going okay, despite all the cracking, but the flame was just too cool. Even with the heating pad, I really should have changed out the MAPP tank after the hollow bead. So as I was nearing the end, half of the hollow bead just... fell off. No rescuing that one. Plus it was getting harder and harder to melt the clear glass.

As business paperwork has been calling and the tax deadline nears, there was no more time at the torch for me today. I do appreciate the nice tools I picked up at Tin Alley and from Black Swamp Glassworks, though. They make a big difference.

And another piece of big news: I actually ordered a new torch, a Minor! Yay! Just have to spend several hundred more dollars to complete the setup, LOL, but at least it's on its way.

A photo of the hollow bead will be posted when possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home