Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Safety First!

Here's my little lampwork studio.

My torch setup had been pretty unstable, and I felt unsafe with it. When you're working with big, big flames, safety is a pretty high priority!

While I've worked with small tools for making jewelry, I haven't done much construction or power tool work. But I saw that the best solution would be to mount the bracket to my stainless steel table. Given that my boyfriend is busy this week, I decided to do it myself.

The torch came with a right-angle bracket for use with a clamp and the gas tank. I went to the hardware store and bought a titanium drill bit for use with metal that I eyeballed to be around the right side for the hole in the clamp. I then spent a very long time with a brand-new associate who didn't know the information I needed until a more seasoned man came along to show me which nut and bolt I needed.

At home, I drilled holes in my stainless steel cart, which was a challenge for the first time using a drill! Those things are tough. But I did it right the first time, picking the correct spots for the holes. The drill bits and nuts and bolts were exactly the right size. Yay! Here's a picture; I'm so proud.

I want to thank my good friend Richard, who is a very skilled carpenter and from whom I learned so much about using power tools. If it weren't for him, no doubt I would have made a total mess of it, or maybe I wouldn't have even known where to start!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home